Wow the crowd at the next picnic or potluck with these incredibly delicious and beautiful Salmon Mousse Hearts with Rosemary Crackers. It's essentially loxe but with less guilt!
This recipe was adapted for our Silpat Perfect Heard Mold by our friends at The Butter Book - check out their website for many more fantastic recipes and demonstrations at www.thebutterbook.com
PREPARATION TIME : 20 MINUTES
CRAKER BAKE TIME : 20 MINUTES
SALMON MOUSSE FREEZE TIME : 30 MINUTES
YIELD : 28 HEARTS
EQUIPMENT USED : Silpat Perfect Bread, Silpat Perfect Heart Mold, Silpat Perfect Pastry, Silpat Half Size
- All-purpose flour - 150 grams / 1cup+2TB
- Sea salt - 3 grams / 3/4tsp
- Baking powder - 4.5 grams / 1+1/8tsp
- Freshly ground rosemary or dried ground rosemary - 3 grams / 1+1/2tsp
- Water - 30 grams / 2TB
- Olive oil - 20 grams / 1TB+2tsp
- Whole eggs - 35 grams / 1 medium size egg
- Scale the ingredients and bring to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 300°F/150°C and line your baking tray with your Silpat Perfect Bread mat.
- Mix the dry ingredient by hand or in a stand mixer with a paddle
- Add the wet ingredients and mix until the dough comes together.
- Pour out dough onto your Perfect Pastry mat and roll out to 1/16” thickness and use your pastry or cookie cutter to cut the dough into 2” discs.
- Place discs on your Silpat lined tray, bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown and then set crackers aside.
Salmon Mousse filling
- Cream cheese - 35 grams / 2TB+1tsp
- Smoked salmon (pre sliced) - 75 grams / ⅓ cup
- Whipped Heavy cream - 40 grams / 3TB
- Smoked salmon (pre sliced) for lining the molds - 200 grams / 1cup
- Fresh dill (To taste)
- Cayenne pepper ground (to taste)
- Sea salt (to taste)
- Black pepper ground (to taste)
- Gelatin from fish or other (optional) - 5 grams / 2 sheets
- Cold Water - 25 grams / 1TB+2tsp
- Scale the ingredients and whip the heavy cream, refrigerate.
- Place some salmon slices between your Perfect Pastry and a Silpat baking mat (any size) and roll out until the slices are 1/16” thick.
- Remove the Silpat mat and using a 2" cookie or pastry cutter, cut the slices into discs.
- Using your Silpat Perfect Heart, line each heart cavity with the salmon disks and set aside in the refrigerator.
- Place the salmon slices reserved for the mousse in a small food processor.
- Add the cream cheese and pulse until it becomes a smooth mousse. Add the whipped cream and pulse a few more times until the mousse is homogenized. Season as needed with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper.
- Scoop or pipe the mousse into the heart cavities lined with the salmon.
- Freeze for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, mix the gelatin with the water and allow to soften for 5 minutes.
- Warm for a few seconds until the gelatin is melted.
- Remove the Heart Mold from the freezer and unmold the salmon hearts, inserting each of them with a toothpick and dip into gelatin to coat.
- Remove the excess gelatin and place the hearts on the baked cracker and decorate as desired